PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dyslexia and commercial flying
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2004, 22:23
FakePilot

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I can certainly see where math, flying, and dyslexia wouldn't mix. However, providing that there are no regulatory problems caused by the dyslexia, that leaves trouble with math!

I've had the pleasure of teaching learning disabled students; one thing really seems to work with them. Persistence! Persistence! Persistence! As long as you keep working on an academic subject and do not quit, you *will* get it. If fact, you may get the topic better than someone who aced it right away. (I certainly don't mean to imply you are learning disabled!)

I'm a FakePilot, which means instead of flying I play computer games. One of the delights I get out of MSFS is the amount of math that can be used while "flying." Therefore I would suggest finding or making exercises in MSFS for yourself. Some examples (I did to myself):

1. Fly to an aribitary location using only VOR's
2. Turn off the ATC, and decide a destination and runway. Then, extend the centerline to a good distance for approach. Figure out when and where you need to turn to get to this point!

3. Come up with a general formula regarding fuel usage. Does it always work? Why or why not?

After a while dealing with headings, courses, altitudes etc etc became completely reflexive.

Just some ideas. Sorry if I grossly misjudged your math skills