PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dyslexia and commercial flying
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2004, 21:19
Red_Organ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dyslexia and commercial flying

Hi there
I've just joined here but I’ve been browsing these forums for a while now, great place!

Anyway, i was just wondering what the general opinion is in regards to commercial aviation and dyslexia?

I found out I had dyslexia in about primary 7 and I’m now in lower 6th in the middle of A/S exams, still waiting to finish school. Being dyslexic hasn't really affected my school life that much, only when it came to mathematical stuff. It's the maths that I really struggle with. Reading, writing, and spelling I can manage no bother. I passed all my GCSEs, with a C in maths. I don't think I can go down the sponsorship route with grades as average as mine but forking out for the training myself might be a possibility.

I've always wanted to fly, for as long as I can remember. I'm lucky enough to have been able to start my ppl. I've done about 23 hours 3 of which were solo but I haven't flown recently because the idea of flying for a career seems to be getting harder to achieve. I was always 100% confident, “I’m going to be a pilot", never "I want" or "I hope to be" but I do realise how hard this could be for me now

With mental arithmetic as poor as mine, I’m beginning to think i'm way in over my head I *really* want to do this but I’d hate to find myself stuck in the situation someday were i've made a huge mistake and put peoples lives in danger.

I've tried to reconsider my career path over and over again but i always end up coming back to the same conclusion, "i'll try my hardest and hope that no one will ever notice" and I’d probably end up doing it over and over again until it is too late so I want to get it sorted now quickly before I start making decisions that will effect the rest of my life.

This is where you guys come in.

What are your thoughts on this? What possible career route could I take? It is unlikely that I’d be motivated enough to do anything e lse successfully so what can I do to help with my arithmetic? My school knows **** all about this, they don’t want to hear it.

Any thoughts/ideas are really appreciated for morale is at an all time low atm.

Thanks

PS Sorry if this is the wrong forum.