PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leeds Bradford Summer 2005
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2004, 11:30
LBAir

To put the record straight. In the 80's LBA extented its main runway by 600m to the minimum required for restricted 747 operations. The airport said at the time airlines such as BA would be able to operate certain longhaul flights. The runway extension was opened by a Wardair 747 and a British Airways 747. The Wardair operated the first ever non-stop LBA-YYZ service.

In the 90's HUY extended its runway also claiming it would now be able to operate alongside the big boys MAN,EMA and LBA and claw back lost traffic especially charter. Airtours quickly moved in. Later in the 90's LBA gain 24hour operational availability and Airtours then opened up a LBA base. LBA Airtours traffic quickly expanded overtaking that at HUY. LBA claimed it would have 3-4 based charter aircraft 2-3 years following 24hour availability. The reality is that nearly a decade on, only 2 charter aircraft have based there.

The point being is that despite the LBA attempt to claw back some longhaul traffic having extended its runway, just didn't happen. Despite HUY extending its runway, it too has never really caught up with the likes of MAN,NEMA or LBA.

So just because DSA has a long runway I'm sure it will be an up hill battle for them. Peel Holdings have obviously done a deal with Thomsons to get them there in the first place. I feal the deal was part of a wider package. Thomsons soon moved into LPL and look set to base at Teesside, both PEEL airports.

DSA has a good catchment area like LBA and I am sure it will do well, but other than a small number of longhaul chaters, DSA is unlikely to gain any real longhaul foothold.

ANY UPDATE ON 2005 CHARTERS????