PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class E Airspace Is Safe
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2004, 02:24
Here to Help

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LB,

From your many-thoughts-provoking post I gather you believe that VFR aircraft in Class E should get priority over IFR, that VFR aircraft do not need to see and avoid IFR aircraft, and that they do not need to be on the same frequency as IFR aircraft. In short, you believe that IFR aircraft must get out of the way of VFR because it is the IFR that want the service, not the VFR.

From this I gather that you think that the IFR, which has a clearance, should either request an amended clearance or the controller should issue an amended clearance to get out of the VFR's way.

You are suggesting that the controller separate the IFR from the VFR, am I right?

What you suggest does not exist in any airspace classification.

You don't really want E airspace, because IFR get traffic on VFR, not separation. You don't want C airspace, because it means that VFRs need to talk to someone and be separated.

So what airspace do you really want? Do you have an idea?

This thread is about the safety of E airspace and the procedures used in it. I have asked for evidence of what procedures (official or unofficial) are used in the US and whether they are the same as the procedures applied in Australia.

If Class E is to be overserviced in Australia ("E+" : ) to bring it up to C standards (like it appears to be in the US) - then, LB, can you tell me what the cost savings are? Can you tell me what the point of reclassification is? What are the specific cost savings, particularly when it doesn't cost anything for a VFR Class C clearance? Do you acknowledge that overserviced Class E is more workload intensive, and more costly for the IFR's that get deviated, than Class C?