PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Attack on Coventry not a surprise?
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2004, 20:31
Bletchley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WC

I am very saddened that you take such a view of Sir Arthur Harris.

It is very regrettable that immediately after WW2 was ended, that the political class did everything possible to distance themselves from the RAF.

This was compounded by the Official history which is so inaccurate and misleading as to be practically worthless. Indeed Arthur Harris refused pointblank to have anything to do with it when it was sent to him for review and they declined to modify inaccuracies.

Although not of the WW2 generation I have enormous respect and admiration for the people who gave their lives so that some people would enjoy the luxury of freedom of speech in a free society.

That people for their own particular reasons have sought to rewrite history against modern day 'standards' is a grave disservice.

The slandering of Arthur Harris that has continued apace since the end of WW2 is appalling. Even to the extent that a particularly well educated colleague of mine trotted out the usual rubbish. When challenged he hadn't studied anything or researched. Just what he learnt at school. Probably from some liberal type with a large chip or a particular political agenda.

Please do not think that I am referrring personally to you, but what I find obnoxious are the people who use this hard won freedom to write and preach inaccurate facts and use their own prejudices to slander those who cannot defend themselves.

The public perception of Arthur Harris as a vicious cold blooded killer is manifestly unfair.

I have studied and read books from all angles and perspectives on him and on Bomber Command's record. I am sure that you are perceptive enough to identify my position on the matter.

Sorry about the long rant folks but as you will see it is a subject very close to me.

JonhFairr

Your message was posted whilst I was writing.

Absolutely no need to apologise. I can see nothing wrong in your post.

I don't consider that anything on here so far has been racist or disrespectful.