PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wizzair to fly from Luton
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2004, 19:42
colegate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the compliment LGS 6753. The reason that I think that Wizz might be high risk is that they do not seem to be trading from a position of strength. In my years in the airline business I got to know very well that unless you had trading strengths you tended to get dead very quickly. To succeed Wizz has to get customers. To do that it has to have a public profile in the markets that it serves. What profile does it have in the UK market for example? How does the public get to know that it flies from the UK to Katowice or anywhere else? You give you a good illustration of the risks that it faces in the markets that it plans to serve, justlook what might happen of either Easy jet or Ryanair were to target Wizz markets. There would be a flood of advertising and some stunning introductory offers. That has proved to be a successful formula. How has Wizz advertised in the UK market? Do please remember that the UK market is the largest air transport market in Europe. If an airline reallywants to succeed in Europe it must ultimately succeed in Britain. I have seen nothing yet that suggests that Wizz have taken the necessary steps to achieve that.

I would be very pleased if they succeeded and I am a passionate believer in the prospects of air tarnsport growth in eastern europe. I would also happily help any company to derisk their commercial operations. But so far I see expansion plans that might end in shattered hopes.