PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA recruiting - DIRECT ENTRY PILOT SCHEME
Old 27th Apr 2004, 09:22
cib

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone who is thinking about it needs to think very, very hard. The Airbus fleet is 'maxed' out....everyone working all the hours God sends. Promotional prospects are virtually NIL. ( not an exageration). Moral is low. Pension ain't what it used to be. Junior pilots get shafted by the bidding system, and end up working ALL the weekends. ( got children ? ). I'll say that bit again....ALL the weekends....except those that come with your leave.
As a BA pilot be prepared to take stick from all quarters....BA themselves, the press, the cabin crew, other airline crews, etc etc. Do not expect any status to come with the package. Be ready for the face to face confrontation with crew transport drivers. Do not expect any response to your end of day voyage reports, explaining delays due to other depts failures.
BA pilot management are dealing with many part time applications, unpaid leave requests, and employment references from other carriers. All from current BA pilots, looking to find a way back to normality.
Many recently joined DEP's are depressed, feeling that they have made a big mistake. Some have been and gone...all in a year...back from where they came.

Understand this...BA is not what it was. You will be expected to work very hard, at the expense of any private life you have. There are hundreds in the queue for a command, all qualified, able, suitable...and with years to wait. You will be many years behind.

Otherwise....well we're getting a nice shiny new uniform soon !! And I have a lot of time and respect for our dispatchers and engineers. All great people.

I am just making sure you are all aware. Find a BA pilot and ask!!

Best of luck to you all.

I forgot to mention the long, long days. Reorts at 5.30am onwards..10 hour duty day, getting to the hotel at 4pm ish. , up next day at 4.30 am ish and do it again..for a 3 or 4 day tour. Followed by another back to back, and if you're lucky get 3 days off...but sometimes only 2 or even 1. It's cumulative fatigue. I spend my days yawning on the flight deck, pushing away the most vile and disgusting offerings called crew meals.

Last edited by cib; 27th Apr 2004 at 09:46.