PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots and Malaria
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2004, 18:42
contraxdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The silent killer

Greetings,
Hi there Gunns, sorry to hear it got you swaer.
Doxyciline, Vibramicine, Cyclidox and all other broadbased anti biotics, has some funny side effects, apart from light sensitivity, that you will normally wont hear about. Your swimmers all die!
Was using it for nearnly four years when my joints started freezing up. It was the funnyest sight for my crew to see me crab to the crapper in the morning because I cant seem to straighten my arms and legs. Doc advised against using it any longer. He said to stop right away. Said if I ever got any lower tracht infection he wont be able to sve me as my body would built up a resistence against antibiotics.Needless to say, I got malaria 7 days later. Nearly died. I was negotiating my way through a couple of amber nectars on the 6th day and woke up with a hangover(incidently the same feeling the morning after we visited you Gunns) The hanover stayed and got worse. I wished at some stage that I would die.
The company now issues us with a couple of testing kits and two courses of Coartem(this is not an advertisment). I cant remember the term from Chemistry 1B, but its a chemical mirror image of the Arthemeter drug they used in the seventies. Think the chemical name is Alpha-arthemeter.
You take a small blood sample when you really feel bad, because then there is lots of parasites in the blood. Late after noon usually does it. insert it in the test plate and wait for the confimational red line.
When the red line shows you drink 4 pills then 2 every 4 hours. If you start in the afternoon you will be over it in the morning.
Oh yes, after a scientific experiment we conducted somewhere in the Congo, Peaceful Sleep was more efective than Tabbard.
From personal experience I'll say Dark Rum and Coke while snacking on Garlic works better than Gin and tonic.

Marmite will be accompaning me from now
Thanks guys!
"the time has come the walrus said to speak of many things, of pirate ships and sealing wax and cabbages and kings"