PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interview stuff
Thread: Interview stuff
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2004, 12:58
ojs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your on a night stop. The captain knocks on your door, on their way to the bar. The captain is wearing a dress. What do you do or say?
Like rmcfarlane, I too had images in my head of a middle aged man having a mid-life crisis; and while this question provides some idle amusement for us here in our comfy chairs once you "know" the answer, it's a very good example of how you can suddenly find yourself in deep waters (being accused of being misogynistic for eg) quite easily. And that "Water in the vodka bottle" scenario is difficult too as you could easily head off in the wrong direction.

It's a bit like that question:

"You're driving your car with the lights turned off. Suddenly you see a black animal standing on a black road. How were you able to see the animal?" (Answer: because it was day-time).

[Personally I think trying to trick candidates with questions like this is a waste of time because (a) there are better ways of finding out of somone can think latterally; and (b) It doesn't actually prove a fat lot if the candidate gives the "wrong" answer, but maybe that's just me!]

Other things to watch out for are:

(a) Questions such as "Tell me the last time you did something wrong" which can lead you into all sorts of difficulties if you start recounting a tale which portrays you in a bad light. Yes we all make mistakes but in the interview scenario it's a natural tendency to try and avoid revealing areas which may be perceived as weaknesses (one of which is "making mistakes"). You may want to get round this question by recounting the hilarious anecdote of the time you let the cat out of the bag about a surprise birthday party.

(b) Questions where you're asked something like: "Tell me your weaknesses" and, an answer having been given, you're asked "And can you tell me another of your weaknesses" forcing you on the defensive and floundering as you desperately try and think of something to say. The received wisdom here (and for other questions of its ilk) is to recognise it's OK to say: "No, that's all I can think of now" and leave it at that.

As for strengths and weaknesses it's always a hard one and there's no really "good" answer. You can always try something like: "I make a strong effort in my work and I sometimes get frustrated by people who don't share my level of commitment" (!) but many think that's too fake. Whatever you say frame the weakness with a positive. So: "I sometimes focus too much on delivery than process, but for the last 3 months I've done (xyz) to resolve this."

Finally with interviews, don't forget the basics - they stand you in good stead:

(i) Don't lie about anything. You never know when you may be caught out. I'm not talking about serious lies (eg saying "I can fly a 777" when you can't) but things such as: "I've been learning to speak Finnish for the last 3 months" (when you haven't); or "I spent my years after University back-packing round Europe" (when you never did). It's just not worth the risk and moreover if you're exposed (by the Finnish back-packing interviewer) your interview is effectively over. It does happen. A friend once got caught out when asked: "How did you prepare for this interview". He went on how he'd done lots of research and read newspaper clippings, but when asked what the company's most important recent announcement was he couldn't say. Needless to say, he didn't get the job.

(ii) Make sure you know as much about the firm you're applying to as you can find out. Some recent history, a knowledge of corporate strategy, current issues, etc etc. Usually company annual reports are a good source for a lot of this info and are avail on-line for free.

(iii) Arrive in good time, but if you're going to be late, call! It happens and people will understand.

If you still need some more advice, I strongly recommend the book "Great answers to tough interview questions".

Hope this helps a bit - and good luck!