PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class E Airspace Is Safe
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2004, 13:33
mjbow2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Creampuff- No

A.N.S.A.- just to be sure we are on the same page... I made no assertions in relation to 'verifying the servicablility' of the transponder....

Class E under and around class B. No contact required with ATC. See answer RE creampuff.

How you verify your transponder is working is not a debate that this monday morning half back wants to get into. Dont forget that aircraft without radio can operate in class E airspace also...

Ohh hey Drugie...ya snuck one by me there....well considering I have flown in oz for the first time a month or so ago I am still evaluating everything. I did all my GA stuff over there so naturally I am more comfortable with the US deal.

We only had TA's and that thing was going off all the time, especially at ORD and MSP....they put butter on the sides just to slide us in there sometimes! You know the drill! But seriously I think its mostly a culture thing, its what your used to. I am having trouble here for example coming to grips with the fact that on an IFR flight I need to be familiar with airspace boundries. As you well know....if youre IFR in the US, airspace boundries mean nothing (few exceptions noted)...IFR is IFR....you get seperation even in G (mostly you would be on an airway-therefor in E) with no radar, but you may be surrounded by G and you still get an IFR clearance and you are seperated......

I am yet to make a fully informed jugdement though on which is a safer SYSTEM despite the stats saying the US is still about the safest place to fly. Obviously my favouring the US is based on that the system as a whole is entirely more user friendly and its familiar to me.....we will see!

Last edited by mjbow2; 24th Apr 2004 at 14:11.