PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slanderous Smith Comments
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2004, 06:57
BrisBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst there is a wealth of information and argument in all these related threads it seems some misconceptions have occurred.

TCAS is last line of defence. A Resolution Advisory is not a normal operating procedure but an emergency manoeuvre.
An earlier respondent refers to a Honeywell manual declaring this to be a non-violent manoeuvre. Several emergency procedures could be described similarly however the correct reaction and smoothness of execution should not be confused with the category of the operation.
We now have EGPWS. This is also last line of defence technology. To say we can now descend our aircraft relaxing our situational awareness is ludicrous. To say I won’t hit the hill because the system will tell me to “Pull Up” is akin to what appear to be some of the collision avoidance arguments associated with TCAS.

The interim ATSB report indicated that crews of both aircraft and the ATS controller complied with published procedures.
An RPT aircraft was forced to perform an emergency manoeuvre whilst the system was operating as it should. This, at the very least, indicates something is seriously wrong.
The theory that the ATSB members are just a bunch of drinking mates of criminal controllers and incompetent pilots should be discarded and impartial, intelligent and reasoned analysis should be applied to the system that produced such a result.

In a parallel thread Mr Smith invites those who wish to discuss the matter with him to call. Another respondent was kind enough to transfer contact details from another source. In this case SM4 Pirate may call and give his name. Would this method of communication alter what SM4 Pirate had to say? What should be considered carefully is the view/concern/opinion/conviction/suggestion offered and not the means of expression or by whom it is expressed. Likewise, the response by Mr Smith in another thread that a post in an anonymous forum by design should be given no notice is somewhat arrogant.
This is true because I said so (and am prepared to put my name to it) does not necessarily ensure such. We only have to look at the current world situation to see the fallacy of this.

The Pilots of two serviceable aircraft and an Air Traffic Controller complying with published procedure needed an emergency manoeuvre to avoid a collision.
There is something very wrong here and instead of insulting comments and slanderous behaviour perhaps the problem should be the focus of attention.