PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do you want to fly?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2004, 17:55
18greens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with hfive11 you can't put it into words.

However I had a wierd experience the other day. I was talking to a colleague at work who found out I flew. His response was along the lines of 'Why would you want to do a thing like that' as if I had just told him I stick pins in my eyes at the weekend for fun.

I've come across people who hate flying but can understand the pleasure you can get from being off the ground and are jealous of the fact you actually look forward to the flight to go on holiday. But this response absolutely floored me. I couldn't think of a thing to say to explain it other than an ear to ear grin and something along the lines of 'Its great'

I think the best bit about flying is after all the preflight and planning and taxiing and waiting you finally line up and when you leave the ground you transition into another world not constrained by contact with something solid. Mr Magee put it so well when he quote'Slip the surly bonds of earth'. You are then in dream world where time warps and at the same time stands still until the wheels touch the ground again and suddenly you are back to normal. Until the next time.

I took a guy up a couple of weeks ago and when we were refuelling after the flight he just stood there and said 'Flying's great isn't it'

Its a stupid question its just great.

Last edited by 18greens; 23rd Apr 2004 at 18:06.