PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fitness affecting eyesight?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2004, 07:41
Genghis the Engineer

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts
Fitness affecting eyesight?

Here's the story, I'd be fascinated for feedback from any of you medical chappies.

Like everybody else round here, I've had to have a periodic medical since I was 18, with the normal reason of keeping me airborne.

Now I've never failed a medical, including that I have never failed the eyesight test. However, I've noticed over the last ten years or so that I have had to strain a bit more each time to read the bottom line on the chart. So far as I could tell this was not long or short sightedness - focussing presented no problem, but one of resolving the fine detail. Whilst it was noticeable (to me) I simply attributed it to getting older.

Now I've just had this years annual excuse for an AME to poke me about, but for the first time in years I was able to read the bottom line without straining at-all.

Now just to eliminate obvious things; I've used the same AME for the last 5 years who has not apparently changed his surgery, equipment or practices. I've never smoked, my alcohol consumption has remained pretty much constant for most of my adult life - so I don't think that those are players.

However, about 2 years ago, I started exercising much more regularly than I have for 8-10 years (now about 3 hours hard exercise per week) - and this year's medical showed my lowest pulse rate and blood pressure for probably a dozen years (not that it's ever been bad, but pulse has gone from 65 to 55, and blood pressure from high average to lowish - sorry, I don't recall the numbers).

So the obvious deduction (for me) is that being fitter has improved my eyesight's ability to resolve fine detail. But, not being medically trained I have no theory to call on in this? Does it seem a reasonable deduction to you medics?

All in the spirit of scientific inquiry.

G