PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CRM summed up
Thread: CRM summed up
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2004, 11:22
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hear, hear!

One of the funniest, most aggravating ones I ever had was when I told the F/O to 'Ask XXX Tower for a visual, please. Tell him we have the field in sight.'

Under ICAO rules one must have the field in sight, but we were about 20 miles off. The F/O, highly skeptical of my approach to life and to flying at the best of times, just looked at me, as if to say, 'Captain, you are asking me to tell a porky'.

I looked him in the eye and told him to go ahead and ask, when I would show him something surprising. He went ahead and got me my visual. Then I asked him if he saw that little speck of white out there on the horizon, almost lost in a sea of green. 'Yes, but...' he answered.

'Keep watching it. That's the control tower at XXX.' And it was.

On the other hand, I was poling along as an F/O operating as Pilot Flying when I could hear the traffic stacking up over the Lagos VOR. I told the Captain that I was reducing to holding speed now, since we would be holding and we were reasonably tight on fuel. (Delays can amount to 30 minutes easily, so that every kilo is precious.)

'You don't want to slow down 40 miles out. That is way too far.'

'Oh yes I do. We are going to be in the stack for a while. It's go-slow at Lagos, I'm afraid.'

'Well, I wouldn't slow down this far out. 40 miles is too far.'

'Noted, thank you. Let me slow down and we will see how it goes, okay?'

Guess what? I was right! Not that I saved our lives or anything like that but we didn't lose any time and we had some extra fuel to hold with.

He was the expert on the airplane and I knew what was going to happen at my home base. I would have preferred that he just go along with my rather innocuous decision and nail me in the debrief if it was a screw-up but we still got the job done.