PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cape Flying Services...south Africa
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2004, 00:30
George Tower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sandy

As a fellow Mancunian I'm sure you're familiar with Coronation Street (for our colonial cousins that's a long running soap-opera set in Manchester). I'm sure Betty was referring to you when she utterred the words "more front than Blackpool!"

I cannot comment on the allegations you have made against CFS and their agent in the UK, but I think the way that you have used this forum, and in light of what CFS actually did for you in the short time you were there is actually making you look like a pretty spoilt brat.

I believe that any one who expects to complete a PPL in a month is skating on thin ice. Not that it is not possible as that's what I did mine in, but it requires excellent weather, and no maintenance issues. As an aside don't you think these aircraft we train in are quite amazing. Designed in the 50s the majority are extremely reliable despite the fact that they are regularly "abused" on a daily basis.

Given that you have less than two hours solo to over thirty dual hours I would venture that you are not the next Chuck Yaeger. There is no disgrace in this but you have to be realistic in your expectations. I would be surprised if you polished the lot off in a fortnight.

I have no interest whatsoever in CFS but I feel that this negative publicity they are getting is a bit unfair. Having been in business myself I can safely say that they must be doing something right if they have been around all the years they have. For all you sceptics out there that is something to remember.

Sandy if it is your aim to fly predominantly in the UK then might I suggest not bothering with SA. It seems that you don't have the time to take and that doing any PPL rushed is not the best way forward. Why not train in the UK and do the whole thing at your leisure at say the Lancashire Aero Club at Barton.

To reduce the cost and bear in mind the Rand Pound exchange isn't as good as it was (may be that's why you want CFS to give you so much free), you might want to consider buying a share in an aircraft. Before you think I'm mad I was offered a 1/20 share in an IFR equipped Cessna 150 for £1300. Running costs were £40 per hour. Given that you could sell your share and not incur a loss this might be the way to go. Plus should you plan to fly in the UK you wont have to waste more money getting used to the airspace and RT differences.

Regards

GT