PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - is having 'National Guard' on resume worth the 6-yr commitment?
Old 21st Apr 2004, 22:08
natedog74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is having 'National Guard' on resume worth the 6-yr commitment?

is a (non-flying) military service looked upon favorably? it is 6 yrs, one weekend a month, two weeks' tour every year. they'd pay all my TUITION towards my av-sci bachelors... (some $20,000 at a state school) -- not a penny toward $30,000 in flight fees, books and such, though.

but it's 6 years. i'd do four -while in school - at the drop of a hat, but another 2 afterwards...different story.

so is it gonna make the (or any) difference on an app?

i am talking Air national Guard, a US air force auxiliarry, a state equivalent of the Reserves - and again, probably some non-aviation related enlisted position.

How would airlines in the US look at it?

not just on the resume, but assuming the economy is doing great and i have the hours to get a regional job, with still one year of commitment to serve out (interfere with schedule??)?

How about airlines abroad? far east, namely, would that help one any? (to have it on the resume).

one would think that they’d appreciate the discipline and such that the service instills in one (or is supposed to), chain of command and all that,
although it did backfire on air florida in DC....

anyhoo, ANY comments, thoughts, personal experiences, word-of-mouth snippets GREATLY APPRECIATED - it is a big decision.

thanx a million
+n