PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA DEP rumour
Thread: BA DEP rumour
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2004, 19:00
Justbelowcap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's important to note that BA HASN'T yet withdrawn the FSS scheme for new joiners. It has yet to approach BALPA officially and as we work under a collective bargaining agreement BA cannot change the T&C's without consulting the union. It has removed it from other staff groups to little protest. However BALPA have stated in black and white that IF a FSS is not offered to new entrants then we will immediately ballot for strike action.

For those that don't know a FSS scheme is where your pension is worked out by dividing your length of service in the company by the acc. rate, the resulting number is the ratio of your final salary that you get as a pension. The (standard) acc rate at the moment is 52 (although you can opt for 45 or 48 for a price). This may well change to 56 to take the pressure off the company.

However if your motivation for joining BA is the pension then you probably aren't the type the company is looking for, personally I wouldn't put it down as one of my questions in the interview!

(Off thread for a moment... the BA cadet scheme has produced some of the finest aviators I have ever had the pleasure to fly with, the consistancy of the product is also staggering. It is a huge loss to UK aviation that this scheme is no longer in place. That is not to say that I haven't flown with some excellent pilots who have come from the hard world of self improving, or been amazed by the skills of some of HRH's finest fast jet jocks but it is humbling indeed to sit next to a guy who operates to the highest standard to find that he has less than 500 hours. I can't sing their praises high enough. Silver spoon or no silver spoon it produces the right sort and I hope the scheme comes back in some form fairly soon)