PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EU work time directive for mobile workers in aviation
Old 20th Apr 2004, 18:20
Spunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now here is what my lawyer told me...

working time is that time as defined in your working contract, e.g. from 0800 - 1700 = 8.5 hours a day (subtract 30 minutes for lunch break). If your working contract doesn't state any particular working time your working time is regulated by national law (e.g. in Germany it's 40 hours per week). Since pilots are restricted to a max allowable working time of 2000 hours per year you finally end up with 38,46 hours per week (don't know how he calculated it but I think it's based on 24 days of vacation per year (min permissable amount in Germany) and 5/2 schedule per week.
Yes, you are allowed to work overtime but it has to be reasonable, means max 4 hours per week (that's what my lawyer told me) but it still counts towards 2000 hours.

And if your contract says that you are employed as a pilot and if there is no particular description of what else belongs to your duties than it is 1. Preflight 2. Flight 3. postprocessing and nothing else... But than again we all love to wash our boss' car

And don't forget those 96 days off per year (no flight duty, no stand by, no nothing) not to include your annual vacation...
Devide it by 12 month will lead you to an average of 8 days off per month resulting in a max of 5 days of work per week...

... but than again who is the first to sue his employer who makes you work 7 days a week, who calls you up at 0200 in the morning to tell you that you have a flight at 0600, who blames you for the fog in the morning, the freezing rain the other day, who makes you do all kind of illegal flights just cause he is too lazy to ask the authority for the appropriate permission, who never pays you in time... to be continued