PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CPL/ATPL GS? AFT/Bristol/Cranfield?
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2004, 17:45
enevill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CPL/ATPL GS? AFT/Bristol/Cranfield?

Hi,

Sorry if this has been done to death.

I am looking at doing a CPL and following that up with a FI rating and later and IR rating.

I am debating whether to do the ATPL or CPL ground school. I have been told that if I do the ATPL ground school then I do not need to do the IR ground school provided I do the IR within 3 years. Is this correct?

How much more difficult is the ATPL ground school? As far as I understand the CPL ground school involves 9 exams, the ATPL 14. Are the 9 for the CPL a subset of the 14 for the ATPL? Or are they completely different exams? If so, how much easier are they?

I would like to get my CPL by Apr next year. I can do 15-20 hrs a week for the next 5 months and 40 hours a week from then. Is this realistic for the ground school + the flight training (I have all the pre-qualifications already, 200hrs, 300nm trip, 5hrs night). Is it still realistic if I do the ATPL ground school?

Finally, the $20M question. Which ground school? I have spoken to AFT and Bristol. Bristol gets a lot of recs on PPrune. AFT is not mentioned much but what is mentioned is good. Any other opinions?

I get the impression that Bristol is very much geared towards airlines (easyjet?).

I like the fact that they also do flight training at AFT and are happy to train on my own 172.

Are there any others I should be looking at? Cranfield? I get the impression that Cranfield is very busy and can be somewhat impersonal?

Any comments welcome, thanks for your help,

Ed.