PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight International web page
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2001, 11:25
Ace Rimmer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

In defence of colleagues up at the Sutton Lubiyanka, Let me aquint you with the harsh realities of running mags. Fact: the majority of a mags revenue comes from ad sales and as a result stuff that will help sell ads tends to get included in the editorial plan. As a journo you may hate putting directories together (I hate it personally tres tres boring) but unfortunatly a) a lot of people find 'em useful and b) advertisers love 'em. To give you an example, In last months Rimmer news there I did an article about Wideroe operations - which was great fun to research - blatting around arctic Norway and, I suspect pretty interesting to read from a flt ops point of view judging by some of the comments I've had since it came out. On the other hand this month we've got a thing on aircraft residual values and lease rates which wasn't nearly as much fun to do but will appeal to an entirely dirrerent sector of our readership. Basically you can't please all the people all the time. Ok you might not find Missle or Maintenance directories terribly interesting but there are those that do. Finally, ref the old chestnut "Fright isn't as good as it used to be" I've got news, like Punch it never was.

[This message has been edited by Ace Rimmer (edited 13 June 2001).]