PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do we need to be more restrictive than the USA?
Old 20th Apr 2004, 12:07
Binoculars

Just Binos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are so many threads about the same topic that it's difficult to know where to post this. This thread will do.

I have raised four daughters, some more successfully than others, but one thing I have managed to get into their heads eventually is that a debate, argument or discussion involves receiving as well as transmitting.

It is important to keep an ear open to the fact that you may be wrong in a basic tenet, even to the point where your whole argument falls down in a screaming heap. If you get to that point it is crucial that you accept it, apologise and start again from a different perspective.

My daughters, to their credit, have absorbed this over the years. Dick, in common with most "self-made" men, hasn't. Think Keith Williams, Kerry Packer, Gerry Harvey... the list is endless. "I am rich, therefore I know better than you all." Their radios are set permanently to transmit; the receiver is switched off. And what a classic case we have of that here.

Never mind, Dick, you still have your little mate Winstun licking your boots, but to the rest of us in the aviation industry in Australia, as opposed to the Walter Mitty's like him, you are quite obviously an embarrassment.

It's a growing pleasure to me to see that you are on your way out, and the Dick Smith years will be remembered as a shameful aberration in Australian aviation. Goodbye, and I sincerely trust your suckerfish John Anderson will take the fall with you.