PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do we need to be more restrictive than the USA?
Old 20th Apr 2004, 11:27
NOtimTAMs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woomera

To hark back to your post earlier today:

"Private flying never was and never will be avialable [sic] to all Australians - only to the financial elite."

Methinks you perhaps show a bias that is unwarranted. There are a substantial number of folks who fly privately who certainly do not approach the wealth of DS and his cohorts. These guys and gals include a substantial number of pro pilots.

Flying and aircraft ownership is as affordable as most of those 4WD/SUVs that you see as a second car, or the larger trailer boats that abound - and even more affordable in syndicate, or in some of the faster U/Light aircraft. Do you label boating or 4WD'ing as elitist?

Do not use the "elitist" tag as a slur to deny to right of those to fly privately if they so wish, whether for enjoyment, for independence, for provision of flight services to areas not well served by RPT or for avoidance of major carriers/airports and their actual and potential problems. They have as much a right to be in the air as the RPT fleet - a big sky can be shared if appropriate measures are in place, as we have proved in the past in Australia.

Fly safely

TimTams

My sincere apologies for words perhaps chosen in haste. I certainly did not intend any derogatory slur with my use of the word "elitist" and infact, used the term "financial elitist" to indicate the upper income families.

My apologies for any who feel offended. I also hoped I was expressing basic facts, not any bias.

Allow me to clarify: The average Australian income is now approximately $36,000 per annum and many of my own staff are in that income range. Many are single income families, some have a part time of full time second income.

Whilst I stand to be corrected, I suspect the majority of Aussie families have an income of $40,000 or less, a couple of kids, a mortgage to service and possibly a personal loan on the primary family car. They are certainly not living in poverty, are very happy and content but realistically, can't indulge in excess "luxuries" - no new 4WD/SUV, no yacht and can't afford to indulge in private flying.

Only a small minority of Australian families would have the assets, disposeable income and probably the motivation to fly privately or participate in private aircraft ownership. That is still no reason to impose excessive charges upon them when they enjoy their hobby.

Woomera

Last edited by Woomera; 21st Apr 2004 at 00:22.