PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seething Airfield: worth a visit
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2004, 10:15
FNG
Not so N, but still FG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seething Airfield: worth a visit

Yesterday I popped into Seething Airfield in Norfolk after a jolly trip from North Weald, dodging thunderstorms along the way. I have rhapsodised here before about the splendours of GA flying in East Anglia, and Seething is another reason for flying there (alas, Swanton Morley and Little Snoring appear to have closed, at least to visitors). Seething is owned by a private flying group. I’ve been to other places operated by groups, but normally they are, understandably, a bit tatty. The Seething Group clearly have some cash and are prepared to spend it. Smooth runway (24/06), very tidy apron and taxiways, modern clubhouse. IO540, I bet you’d like this place. Several shiny kitted-up aeroplanes on their own carousels in a pristine hangar. It reminded me a little of the well maintained but deserted Fowlmere, although Seething has better buildings. It would be unfair of me to say that there was no atmosphere, as it was a wet weekday afternoon, with one chap selling fuel and another enjoying a solitary beer in the unstaffed bar, although it would have been nice to have been invited to make myself a coffee. Presumably the place generates a bit of a buzz at the weekend.

Thjere's apparently a memorial to the US Airmen who served at Seething in the old (and seemingly well preserved) Watch Office/Control Tower on the far side of the field.

I also visited Beccles, five minutes flying to the south east of Seething, and another ex WW2 bomber station, but there was nobody there. I hope that the landing fee I stuffed into the door jamb didn't blow away.

Another one for the log books: Enstone, Oxfordshire. One airfield, two clubs. One sells landings, the other sells fuel. Completely different set up and atmosphere at each. I won’t say which of the two is more fun.