PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Ops - Is there a better way??
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2004, 05:28
helmet fire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lofty - if that really is your first post - welcome to Pprune!
I too am keen to see your NVG experience (and on what sort of NVG) that leads you to so categorically reject them.

Whilst I agree with some of your points , I find the sentiment of others (such as the NVG one) quite disagreeable. To stop outlandings or night winches reduces the ability of the helicopter to save lives. These manoeuvres can be accomplished with a high degree of safety - despite your personal reluctance. I also assume that you refuse to do them given your assesment of their safety? Or is that the organisation you worked for were unable to provide the high training levels required to make it a safe (in your opinion) operation?

And if it really is the black hole thing that you are concerned abouy - why not try NVG so you can SEE on the way down????

And what about the Canadians mentioned above by heedm, overwater night winching without autopilots/etc? How about the RAAF who used to do it in UH-1s? Because you personally find it a danger, should we restrict those with the resources to train and safely perform the operation when it is justified?

PS Red Wine - I plan to be at the May night conference - will I be drinking with you again?