PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captain Chas Finn-Kelcey MBE
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2004, 22:49

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Chas Finn-Kelcey

Chas, untimely death has prompted my first pprune posting.
Thank you for providing what is effectively an e-condolences book.
I hope it is a small comfort to all of Chas' family. I admire your request for plenty of colour today. I have already expressed a wish, when my turn comes, for no black ties.
The much anticipated monthly publication of the Lyneham station magazine, the Globe, was read, as Flight, from the back because Chas comic but often hard hittng strip "Rompers Green" the every day story of a West Country Transport Station", was invariably just inside the back cover.Much pleasure came from the detail eg among the AOC's (Air Officer Commanding) bookcase titles "Morale and how to spot it" next to "Morale and how to stop it". Thank you Chas for highlighting all the cock-ups & the way we felt but with a talent we lacked.
In 1980, I was co for Chris Mann's 1st LHS conversion with Chas as TRE during my annual sim/fly refresher.Chas' enthusiasm for aviation ingeneral and flying the Herc in particular made for a hardworking productive but enjoyable 2 weeks.
I last saw Chas in 2000 when at EOG I flew him to GLA one evening. My welcome PA led to Chas joining us on the flight deck, those were the days. A short flight but loads of catching up! He had been called out to position to GLA and operate a night TFS before positioning back to LGW in the morning. Not a prospect to fill anyone with joy! I can still see Chas striding out air-side along the side of the pier as he went in search of his aircraft.
Sorry I couldn't be with you today.
Chas, thank you, it was a privilege to know and work with you.
I treasure my copies of Rompers Green, you will see me smiling every time I read them.

Howard & Chris