PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Broad Band And Two Computers
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2004, 07:40
FJJP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't advise you on the VPN - no experience. About 6 months ago I set up a wireless network at home. My main PC runs W2000 and is hard wired to a D-Link wireless router. My wife's PC runs on W98 and has a wireless card link to the router. My laptop, on WinXP has a plug-in wireless card. The broadland line plugs into the router and all 3 can simultaneously access the net.

Each computer has its own firewall and virus software [Norton].

As far as the ISP is concerned, there is only one line to the house - the sharing is all done in the setup on the internal network. By sharing drives, I can also access everything on every computer from any other machine - big advantage, because I don't waste disk space with duplication [access controlled by giving permissions].

Best plan is to find a small, local, independant computer shop, manned be people who know what they're doing. I'm lucky, I have a local Antechs store. I wouldn't touch the big retailers with a bargepole - most of the 'assistants' don't, because they are trained to take money out of your wallet, not to give expert tech advice.

Worthwhile doing a search on this forum [wireless?] - there have been a number of excellent posts on the subject in the past year.

Last edited by FJJP; 19th Apr 2004 at 07:53.