PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do we need to be more restrictive than the USA?
Old 19th Apr 2004, 06:41
Dehavillanddriver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
A number of years ago, industrial associations insisted that Ansett Boeing 767s be extensively modified from the FAA US airworthiness standards to include a special engineer’s console. It was claimed that this modification (which cost tens of millions of dollars) was necessary for safety. This was shown to be a waste of money, was not necessary for safety, and was one of the contributing reasons that 15,000 people lost their jobs in the Ansett demise.

Hate to tell you this Dick me old chum, but the Ansett 767's were DESIGNED AND BUILT STANDARD WITH THE F/E STATION. It was only post production were all the other initial 36 odd aircraft modified to REMOVE the F/E station.

It WAS NOT industrial pressure that made Ansett "fit" the flight engineers panel - it was designed, built and certified with it as a standard option.

Sure ANsett left them there while the rest took them out, and it subsequently became the norm post airframe 36 (I stand to be corrected on the number) but they didn't put them in as a result of industrial action.

How can you expect people to take you seriously when you can't get your facts right?

I'll come back and make a comment on your other points later