PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - London Airshow
Thread: London Airshow
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2004, 21:37
paulo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a good start.

GA and private flying is off in the fringes of the public consciousness as a leisure pursuit.

There's definitely something to be said for an indoor show - it's not everyone's cup of tea, but neither is trekking out to a windy airfield. Although most of the visitors were already "involved", there were definitely a reasonable number who aren't. A show of hands in the seminar I was in suggested that 25% weren't flying. Convert just a few and it's good news.

And a sales event? Well, that's what shows are. That's normality - the boat show, the motor show, they are all the same. And that's not a bad thing.

Go to a field event and for joe schmoe it's just entertainment. "Hey look at all those people doing stunts! What daredevils!". In an exhibition, it's wall-to-wall "you want to fly, you want to buy".

If the sales environment brings more people to flying, all the better. Just imagine - airfield, clubs, competing heavily for a growing business.

It's a good step, and no it doesn't replace field avents. It's a good thing for private flying. My biggest criticism would be: not enough marketing. I hope they can get many more visitors next year. AND do an even better job of selling. After all, what is good for GA? Less buying or more?