PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2004, 19:52
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
We did not go round again. Not fair and no fun.

Over Libya we used to launch about 0800 local so as to complete the low levels before it got too hot and turbulent. Quite strange really flying over the 'merciless heat of the desert' actually under 8/8 stratus.

Really there were no rules. One, BC/Lib/21 Reversed and extended was a real ball melter. Take-off from El Adam, transit at about 400 to some point in the sand about 600 miles west and to the south of Tripoli, descend to low level and vainly try and get back before we were cooked.

Miles and miles of rolling sand and absolutely nothing to see. Nothing visual that is. As a radar op we were looking for ill defined sand dunes, wadis etc where JARIC had calculated a radar significant feature, fix and on for the next 60 miles to the next fix point. Then we might see footprints.

Minutes later a camel train would appear plodding slowly across the featureless terrain. Down we would go and try and thread the eye with the needle. The AEO would watch through the periscope. Never any complaints as far as I know. No phones!