PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training, hours building and first job prospects in America
Old 18th Apr 2004, 08:53
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smell the coffee wesp: This is what will most likely happen IF you become a statistic {and I know some out there will say BUT there is always the exception...yawn, yawn].

You will drag your family to America, where they will think they are settling down while you fly your butt off having a ball. Your wife will sort out schooling and neighbours. Then you'll start to build your hours and possibly get a local job as an AFI for about $50/hour (but only when you fly). The months will go by and you'll realise that your job and the money - sucks. So you'll up sticks and move the family to Australia where they will find another school and neighbours and wave to you every morning as you go looking for work. Then you'll build some more hours flying for another flight school at $50/hr.
Then you'll wake up one morning and look at the clock and realise that you're 45 years old!
So you'll look for a better helicopter job elsewhere, like Canada, but the wife and family don't think so! Now what? Not enough hours yet to get a full time well paid helo job, a grumpy family and no money? And all everyone wants to do is GO HOME and start again

You are TOO OLD to START helicopter flying as a professional. Companies will not take you on to do a serious hel job, because there are too many young thrusters in front of you.
You'll almost certainly work, but at what level, which brings what quality of life?
As I said before, you either have a get out clause, or have so much money that it doesn't really matter how much you earn.
My question is......what about the family?????

This industry doesn't carry excess baggage. Most people WITH FAMILIES either have reasonably well paid jobs, or second incomes

Why don't you go to the US on your own, build your hours and try to progress on your own. Go down the professional helicopter route by all means , but don't drag your family through it with you. It'll be painful enough by yourself, think about those 'supporting' you!
The truth hurts.