PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sticky Threads - good or a pain?
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2004, 17:00
johnfairr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sticky or just time-expired..?

Anybody who bothers to view the Military Aviation Thread on Pprune does so because they have an interest in that particular subject, be it as aircrew, groundcrew, wannabe or just plain curious.

At the beginning of the F4 Phantom thread there was a brief discussion between BEagle and myself as to whether or not the thread should continue. My view was that if there was enough interest in a subject it would become self-sustaining until natural lethargy took over, ie all the stories had had an airing, there was no new news, and it had run its course.

One of the moderators put it quite succinctly when he said that the threads would be archived, there to be looked at by future genrations should they be inquisitive enough, so that they are not lost.

This seems to me to be the way of democracy, voting with your keyboard was the phrase I used. If there is enough interest out there, the thread will continue. The Chinook thread has posts every other day or so, people keep returning to the nub of the situation, which is something I am not qualified to have an opinion on. However, I defend to the death their right to have a forum in which they can garner support, rebut opposite views (of which there appear to be very few, which strengthens their case, I believe) and attempt to turn over what, in their opinion, is a miscarriage of justice. Thus I agree with the Pprune moderators.

What saddens me is the lack of more responses on the Ascoteers Multiple Choice over the last week or so, likewise the 1 Gp Dining-In Night stories.

Darwin Rules OK? Natural Selection and if they get enough interest they will become self-perpetuating.