PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - peace on the Eastern Front??????
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2004, 09:27
nef

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There have been one or two routes which have to some extent failed. I think Germania recieved RDF money to start PIK-TXL, but that one didn't last long. Additionally, Germanwings recieved funding to start a daily EDI-CGN, but I understand the funding was withdrawn after they decided to make this route summer only (it seems that routes must be year-round to qualify for the fund).

Apart from that, the rest have done all right (EDI-EWR is still to start), although as Findo says one or two of the EDI Duo routes were rumoured to have very poor loads, at least initially.

With respect to 2 operators starting up on the same route, the Executive are apprently obliged to fund both under European rules. I think they both get the same amount as they would have got if there was just one of them operating the route, but I don't know for sure.

I would say the main criticism that the RDF fund has recieved in Scotland is the fact that the vast majority of new routes supported have been from EDI and to a lesser extent PIK. Only one from GLA has been suporrted, and until this GRQ fiasco, none from Aberdeen. Given the location of the parliament in EDI there were of course accusations of Edinburgh bias and politicians using the fund to facilitate easy access from EDI to Europe for their taxpayer funded jaunts!