View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2004, 07:56
lame
Persona non grata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

404 Titan,

I did not say otherwise.

I was just saying that I know that all those years ago, both Boeing and the then McDonnell Douglas, wanted to build Airliners with NO Pilots.

However in those days they knew the Public would not wear it.

Mind you that was before all the FBW technology we have now, and all the computer controls on the Airbuses, there is probably much more of a case for no Pilots now than there was way back then.

BTW they were not planning on having NO Humans in the flightdeck, just NO Pilots.

They wanted to have (to soothe the passengers) one (or even two if necessary) computer technicians.

Much like as Pilots are mainly only there now just in case, these technicians would be there just in case of multiple computer failure, to change the computers during flight.

They also said that statistics prove that there are many more accidents caused by Pilots over riding the technology, than are ever caused by a fault in the technology.

All that said, I don't know if I would be too keen to travel like that myself, however as someone pointed out already, generations growing up now with computers may be quite okay with it in the future.

Best regards,

Lame.