PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working while doing Flight Training
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2004, 21:35
onthebuses

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just an idea for anyone needing well paid part-time / casual work.. You would never guess but I drive a bus. Now I don't plan to do this for much longer as I am going to start the modular route this year, ( C1 allowing.) at the grand old age of 32. Now in the dull world of bus travel there is a not very surpising shortage of drivers, especially during times that no one wants work eg; Late, early, eves and weekends. Most companies hire either P/T casual, or agency drivers. Earnings are approx £8 to £15 per hour in the London area and demand is high. If you dont have a PCV licence then it will mean training, just a theory test then 60 min drive. I did mine with a company at no cost to me 12 months ago and took me a week. I then had to sign a 12 month bond and work full-time for the company during that period. Costs are about £600 + fees for a licence off your own back, which would leave you free from any contract ties. It may not be the most desirable job in the world but I'm starting modular as I say and I've got a feeling that being able to pick my hours/days at a rate of £8+ per hour beats some of the alternative options.