PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Cost-cutting?
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2004, 17:33
johnpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have definetely had fun in Ryanair the last years, and I remember not long ago the fact that we were all proud of being members of the flight team. I never pay much attention to what outsiders say about my employer because I know what goes on in Ryanair. The problem I see with the MOL thinking is this: Cut our agreed payrise because maybe as he says we will not mak a profit in the current fiscal year. I never saw anyone from management or indeed from the pilot body asking for an extra increase in o,ur salaries when we made record profits the last three years. No one said we were expecting to make less so here is the rest to share. If we do not share in the up I do not see we should share on the way down. May be MOL should give back to the company the extra amount he made the last three yerars from his stock he sold and then I would consider joining the rest in pay freezes. I do not sell tickets, and I do not do yield management. I fly planes from a to b safely and efficiently.
The argument about contractors keeping the company flying while the pilot body goes on strike is not valid. As everything in RYR is on the limits, so six days later noone would be flying. Thank god to JARs we cannot hire guys fast enough and do training and even if thirty percent did not fly it would be enough to create chaos.
The problem is that our cabin crew have more balls than us up front, so I have to keep hoping that they go out and maybe we will gain something. Our comradery stops at the pub
When we do wake up and see in the not so far future all the cheaper pilots coming in and taking our jobs it will be a rude awakening.
The point of having low fares and bad yields is because the product is crap. Only if you drop the price will people fly with us, and it is a vicious cycle drop the prices, drop the standards, drop the standards lose more good passengers, drop the prices further. Maybe if the smart guys in the office see this and start offering a value for money people will be willing to fly with us again for a higher price. Untill this happens it will not get better IMHO
JP