PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2004, 18:25
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 422 Likes on 222 Posts
Ben,

I can't help you in respect of other aircraft that were flying at the time. If the official authorisation sheet records have been destroyed, then it will never be known unless a pilot with the record of the flight in his personal logbook comes forward.

I understand there were no serviceable Mk1s available at the time. I think this was declared in the evidence given to the HOL inquiry.

Shame the pax weren't just moved to a civvy flight, or any other with an IFR capability. The fact that it wasn't says something of the mentality of those ordering the flight. No "loss of face" allowed and all that.

I think it was Mr Day who stated that as far as he was concerned the gross negligence was committed before the flight took off. That is something I could agree with but at least some of the responsibility for what happened that sad day was almost certainly not the crew's.

Something that was never really examined is why the flight was allowed by the duty supervisor at Aldergrove, in view of the weather, limitations of the type and unserviceability of this aircraft.

The biggest mistake the crew made was taking off. They were put in an unenviable situation by severe management pressure but in my opinion they were just trying to get the job done, as ordered. That the senior management took a big step backwards when the flight safety chain broke while they were pulling at least one end, is appalling.

Last edited by ShyTorque; 14th Apr 2004 at 18:39.