PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Eagle - And 'Global Beagle - Around Britain in a Virtual Autogyro'
Old 14th Apr 2004, 15:05
rotorcraig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Round The World in an Autogyro

Source from BBC News

Army pilot takes to the skies

An army helicopter pilot is aiming to become the first person to fly around the world in an autogyro.

Warrant Officer Barry Jones, 37, begins his four-month journey in Hampshire next Wednesday.

During that time he will fly over 25,000 miles across 25 different countries.

The autogyro, which appeared in the James Bond film You Only Live Twice, is the only class of aircraft yet to circumnavigate the globe.

WO Jones hoping to raise funds for the Dyslexia Foundation, the NSPCC and the Red Cross September 11 Appeal.

"I am really excited about it and I am a little nervous," he said.

"My first worry is if my engine fails over the water I would lose the aircraft and my challenge would end. I would get a swimming lesson as well.

Difficult stretch

"The most difficult stretch will be from Greenland to Iceland because the aircraft doesn't know it is flying over icebergs.

"It is also the biggest hop for me at 457 miles and it'll take about five hours to complete."

The father-of-three, based at Dishforth, North Yorkshire, entered the record books in February last year when he flew 579 miles across the UK in seven hours and 23 minutes.

But the inspiration for his latest journey came from his first flight in an autogyro.

"When I did my first aircraft flight in Carlisle I remember thinking I could fly around the world in this.

"It has all gone from there really and I have been planning this trip ever since," he added.

The autogyro was made famous in 1967 as Sean Connery's gadget Little Nellie in the James Bond film You Only Live Twice, but has yet to make a round-the-world trip.

Brian Milton was the first person to fly round the globe in a microlight aircraft back in 1998.

WO Jones now hopes to follow the same route across the Mediterranean and the Middle East to India, China, Russia, the US and Greenland.

Carefully planned

The world record attempt was originally due to take place last year but was postponed due to the Gulf War and the Sars virus.

His current journey is expected to hit troublespots like Pakistan and Jordan.

"Transparency is the key. All the embassies know I'm on my way and that it's a military expedition," he said.

"The only things likely to stop me are fog or low cloud."

WO Jones is leading a team of six Army soldiers whose responsibilities will include maintaining the aircraft, route planning, logistics and sponsorship and charity liaison.

The journey, which will cost £200,000, is being raised through donations and sponsorship,

Gyroplanes can fly at altitudes of up to 10,000ft, have a maximum speed of about 120mph and cruise at about 90mph.

But WO Jones said he would be sticking to an average height of 2,000ft at 80mph to conserve fuel.

And he may not be the last person in his family to attempt the journey.

"All my family are behind me," he said.

"In fact my oldest son Lewis said to me: 'Dad you're the first person to fly the world in a gyroplane. Well I am going be the youngest'."

People wishing to make a donation to the charities are asked to visit his website.