PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virtual pilot lands Qantas jet
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2004, 13:39
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

In FACT, almost all RPT aircraft have STARS and SID's incorporated into their FMC software these days.

It's only because of ATC trying to "regulate" the flow, that intervention is needed by the pilots.

IMO, with TCAS and the current systems we employ, it would be possible to do away with ATC right now, in Primaries.

Weather avoidance will always be the responsibility of the pilot-in-command..........New Flash - 1 pax died, and 10 pax required hospitalisation following an encounter with severe turbulence - the ATC'er guiding the aircraft has been held responsible" ....................as will be the responsibilty for keeping the aircraft within tolerance on descent - otherwise expect to see frequent excursions through the Barbers Pole, which will happen if the aircraft is left to its own devices on a Path Descent.

Hate to say it guys, but I think we'll more than likely witness a BIG reduction in controllers (to skeleton levels), due to the technology being introduced, before we see "remote controlled", passenger-transporting aircraft.

However,
That didn't take Duncan long- time to command in QF is now 2 years is it?
The way the industry is (rapidly) heading, I won't be at all surprised to see this - not specifically THAT "individual" - but in another 5-10 years (my guesstimate), that will be the norm, imho!
The "experience" limits are being tested right NOW.
I am seeing people who - in my opinion - are being put into the lhs of RPT aircraft, who (imo) are just not ready, but management are now calling the shots (here), as the unions - which traditionally insisted on a seniority system - have been watered down.
Aviation is undergoing a monolithic change on the flight deck, by people who are NOT aviation-experienced.

Like termites in a building, nothing is noticed for a considerable period - unless by chance, someone leans too hard here or there.
But once gutted, the WHOLE lot will collapse completely, totally, and irreparably.

Only mugs are going to be involved in aviation insurance!