PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kentish Town to Park Lane - An applicant's analogy?
Old 14th Apr 2004, 08:25
easyflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Providing you come across in your application as well rounded, and to be honest a good deal of Oxbridge (in addition to non-Oxbridge and non-university) students do, it can only help. From then on in, it's on pure merit - psychometric testing and then to interview - success is kind of regardless of your 1st from Cambridge, but more about you yourself and your fundamental abilities (academic, and perhaps more importantly, beyond).

Fellow Oxbridge grads (I'm a dark blue....) have been known to suggest it's actually a disadvantage.... when you compare a typical 30yo ex-Oxbridge bankers lifestyle to a 30yo airline pilot, recruiters alledgedly often ponder the strength of your attraction to the city - where streets are paved with gold - after a few novelty-wearing-off years flying. There was also one criticism that recruiters didn't "understand" Oxbridge, and in fact were just frightened by it. Please note, this was communicated by just one individual, so I've no clue as to the validity, nor am I entirely sure what she meant by "understand".

To summarise, you've as good a chance as anyone - but expect no special favours....

Last edited by easyflyer; 14th Apr 2004 at 13:05.