PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mmmmm... GPS for confidence (for low hours peeps!)
Old 14th Apr 2004, 07:17
bookworm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, moving maps are useless without frequent database updates. Not that cheap...

I have panel-mounted Garmins fitted to all our a/c; either GPS150s or GNC250s. The philosophy is to use the CAA chart for primary reference, but to back the geographical route up on the GPS to cross-check dtk and eta values; to confirm track error estimates the GPS CDI bar is used. That way there is no need to update the data base and the VFR-only GPS is being used as a supplementary navigation aid to basic visual techniques.
This I don't get. If you use an aeronautical database to program your route, you are just as dependent on an up-to-date database as the moving map user. If you don't use an aeronautical database then you are prone to input errors in uploading coordinates. In either case, a graphic depiction of the route is far more likely to enable you to catch those errors before they become important.

I also don't agree that the "eye-candy" moving map causes more head-in time. It takes less time with a moving map to get the info you need than with a clutter of digits.