PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates emergency landing in JNB
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2004, 16:16
Idgie Tea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I don't want to sound stupid but just for my understanding:

If I have let's say 3t more in the bulk, it definitely is a trim problem. So this might lead to premature rotation.

Assuming this were the case on any given hypothetical flight, here are my questions:

1. Wouldn't that rather lead to a tail skid before liftoff?

2. If it does would that be a little like the test during certification to find the min unstick speed? From all that I know these T/O's don't take longer to get airborne but are very sluggish when in the air (to say the least).

3. Would it really lead to a late liftoff? After all, the plane is only 3t heavier which doesn'r make that much difference in speeds.

4. If it did lead to a late liftoff, would it be so late that I could screw ALL performance data derived from the different weight calculations? (3t is about a 1,5 to 2% weight change only)

I just ask these questions because I don't understand why so many here think it was a trim problem. I don't want to suggest or assume anything but I can't see why all the mentioned factors should lead to that extreme low T/O profile.

Correct me if I'm wrong! Perhaps my aviation knowledge needs some urgent update... I hope not but it would mean that the trim wasn't the big contributor to that incident.