PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 ratings - THIS p!sses me right off
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2004, 11:46
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Trainer :

1. The CAA are at the very centre of it, because they are the ones who passed this ridiculous law that forbids me from flying in the UK on a non-JAA issued type rating without 500 hours on type.

2. It's a Boeing 737 rating, i.e. it's an identical product. In fact it's probably a higher standard of product than several other JAA-approved TRTOs I could think of.

3. TRI/TRE yes, line training no. As you would know, if you'd actually bothered to read the thread I was referring to.

4. They're a stand alone company staffed by the sim instructors and using the equipment of the former Ansett Australia. Sort of like the Pan Am academy in the USA. And yes, this price represents about a 10 - 15% discount on their opposition. If you were to go to Qantas, you might have to spend, ooohhh, maybe £9,000 instead of £8,000.

However you'd still pay a good 65% less than you are paying here in the UK. Which is kind of my point.

I'm trying to raise a serious issue here, which is the fact that all British pilots who want to buy jet type ratings are getting ripped off by at least 10, and in some cases closer to 20,000 pounds, for the true value of the ratings in Oz or North America, for no reason other than this silly anomaly in JAA law. And I think something needs to be done about it.

I'm not going to bite back at you but please let's not let this degenerate into flame warfare and "why don't you all grow up" kind of stuff, before it's even got to post #3 ...

Last edited by Luke SkyToddler; 13th Apr 2004 at 12:13.