PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots' Awards made Common Rule
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2004, 11:42
Capt Hollywood
I'll get me coat......

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's great to see this change to the award, maybe new pilots will now get the money they deserve for the job they do. Yes....I said DESERVE.

I can see a few employers getting rather upset at the idea of having to pay pilots a reasonable wage but let's face it, we aren't talking about putting new pilots on $50,000 a year. The award is a fair amount to pay to a pilot, you can easily earn that money stacking shelves at Coles!

With all that said and done how much difference is it going to make in the 'real world'? How many 19 year old, 200hr pilots are going to request a meeting with their employer and ask for a pay rise, not too many I'm guessing. It's true, you can't be sacked for asking for a pay rise but in the 'real world' we all now that if you had the sort of boss that would consider a pay rise you would have approached him/her by now.

Good luck to all those pilots who are setting up meetings with their employers to explain the new 'common rule'. Here's hoping they will at least hear your comments. The other option of course is to come up with some form of enterprise bargaining agreement that works for both you and your employer. Either way I hope this new award development does mean something in the 'real world'.

Cheers,

Hollywood