PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spinning and T67s
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2004, 07:38
gemini76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
152 SPIN

SEND CLOWNS.........fuel imbalance.

Almost embarrassed to admit this..............
On our fleet we have a C152 with straight wingtips, and this aircraft is ideal for pattering a spin. With no power and full pro spin to the left at 60 knots will enter slowly allowing plenty of time to patter, identify direction of spin with T/C etc, before settling into the classic 152 spin.
However, one nice sunny day with a low houred post PPL who had never, but wanted to spin we did just that. After the usual expletives from the LH seat for the first demo, student wished to continue. After 5 recoveries, I felt that the student had got the hang of it, and so I followed him through at the 6th attempt. Entry was correct with full pro spin controls held ,at the correct speed, again to the left. The aircraft pointed staright down to terra firma with NO rotation, and increasing speed rapidly. After a quick glance rearwards to make sure we hadn't lost the rudder, I recovered from the ensuing dive.
Not convinced that there was no structural damage, a very careful flight back to the field!!
Freda check.......Fuel...left indicating empty, right indicating full!!!
Dread to think what may have happened if I'd tried one to the right!! Lesson learned....................