PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Raids Meatbombers No 2
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2004, 03:11
Islander Jock

I don't want to be the best pilot in the world - Just the oldest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RS480,

You raise some valid points but from my experience there is nothing to suggest that the training or level of supervision she received woud be vastly different at another DZ. Using incompatable risers 8 years ago left me with a smashed ankle and 8 weeks in hospital but I do not blame the INSTRUCTOR who gave them to me, or the DZ for allowing it to happen. Rather I, like this poor lass, was an experienced skydiver and made a change to my system without properly assessing the risk or asking for advice. If this type of procedural fault can occur perhaps it identifies a fault with the APF licencing, and supervision requirements rather than with the individual DZs.
If it was known that the riser configuration was so dangerous then I'd suggest the APF would have issued a Rigging Advisory Circular (RAC) about it. I don't know if any such RAC was issued, do you?

wrt your points about rubber bands and checking. As a C license holder there was absoloutely no requirement for her packing to be supervised so no one either with or without authority on the DZ would necessarily noticed double stowing of the suspension lines. A gear check for a jumper is usually confined to to a reserve pin check prior to boarding the aircraft and the exit again, not necessarily by an instructor.

It is indeed sad that some people here are needlessly jumping on this tragedy to peddle their own agendas

Last edited by Islander Jock; 12th Apr 2004 at 07:40.