PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight around Cyclones/Hurricanes?
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2004, 00:33
TOPC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xtrahold.I can appreciate the the economic pressures placed on all of us these days .The majority of times I have been lucky and the majority of experiences I have had involved Thunderstorms.In fact One of the hardest decisions I have had to make was out of Brisbane in Australia.We timed it to perfection by arriving at the threshold for takeoff as a black/green rollcloud moved toward us.A local operator in a 737 behind us was keen to go.I decided to wait as the radar was full of hook shaped chasms within 5 NM .We took next exit and he took a visual departure with an immediate turn away from the cell.His takeoff roll was normal his rotate was slow as was the initial climb.At approximately 300-400 feet he made a left turn which rolled violently passed 45 degrees before recovering and climbing normally.Twr asked him if operations were normal.Terrifying to watch .However he would probably have been on time to his destination. Tower reported winds veered 150 degrees gusts 30 to 52 knots. Thereafter followed one of the most violent hail storms I have witnessed.I was 2 hours late to destination .