PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AT Courses while on hold
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2004, 00:07
SSSETOWTF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Come on chap, there are dozens of things to do:

Get down the gym, read all the posters on the wall. Then get the JSP (318 I think it is) that lists all the courses. Apply for everything you're eligible for. Then apply for a holding post at Llanfair PG. Then phone Llanfair, give them your details and phone number and tell them that if they have 'no shows' or late cancellations on a Monday morning that you can be there in xx hours.

Go to SHQ and read DCIs. Most of them are weird and wonderful, but you'll also find details of Joint Services Alpine Meet, Joint Services Rock Meet, sailing trips to the Carribean, windsurfing courses at Rutland Water, the ski champs etc etc

Where ever you do end up holding, go to any of the larger bases around you and speak to the OICs of the various mountaineering, diving, hang-gliding, gliding, surfing, caving etc clubs. They'll probably all be organizing an exped or 2 and will love you if you express an interest and get involved.

Join the RAF Mountaineering Association (the gym will know how) or similar. They organize weekend trips every month and weeks away at various times.

If you like survival stuff, hold with the School of Combat Search & Rescue down at St Mawgan. Or apply to go on the courses - arctic, desert, jungle, winter etc. You might even be able to banter your way onto the SRO(C) and turn up at your first sqn with a useful qual under your belt.

Ever thought about Raleigh International? http://www.raleigh.org.uk/ It was easily the most rewarding thing I've ever done. RAF will pay a third of the costs, I raised a third in sponsorship and paid the rest (but you'll earn far more than the amount you pay while you're away in the African bush and unable to spend a penny).

I held for 9 months between Linton and Valley and was at my desk for 1 week. For pity's sake don't waste your holding time making tea for random people and getting the occasional backseat ride. You can fly jets, from the front seat, every day for the rest of your career if you want. Holding time is precious and you should make the most of it. Where else can you get paid to go and do stuff like that? If you want any more ideas/advice/help feel free to PM me.