PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin ready for a 'gunfight'
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2004, 23:16
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a couple of points, the first being the original concept and inspiration of another airline starting up, was to my recollection floated to SRB by some ex-Dispute pilots - obviously BG deserves full credit for working out the finer details (on a beer coaster?!).

And although Cactus Jack seems in full agreement, I have seen the same "... "chucks bags" and cleans toilets to get a first-hand view of operations." from the management here, and wonder WHY?
If they can afford the time to leave the office and do such work, then how much are they REALLY needed in the position for which they are employed, on a full time basis?
Having appointed downline team division managers to oversee daily ops, do companies need full-time CEO's/Presidents?
Why not just bring them in on a casual basis?

What does a CEO achieve, by going out to an aircraft and scrubbing a dunny or two, or hoisting some bags?
Is it intended to show that he's "just another one of the team" - willing to do any task?
IMO, it could be seen more as a lack of confidence and trust in the under-managers responsible for that area.
I believe there are better ways of nurturing the "team spirit", than having management playing these charades.
For example, spend more time to investigate, and then follow up by taking positive action on some of the more vocal "beefs".