PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Win XP (sp1) Ctrl panel not responding
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2004, 10:38
KwikPhix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Naples...

The windows XP install was a fresh one onto a brand new HDD. I've also downloaded all the Windows updates for it.
I have built my computer myself a couple of weeks ago, so everything installed is fairly fresh and new. The machine has been working great for a couple of weeks, i just noticed that i couldn't get into Control Panel a couple of days ago. Can i reinstall Windows over the top of my existing Install to re-new and replace any broken bits.
Obviously with a new install I have added some programs that came with my new hardware for a look-see and then un-installed them when i found they weren't for me. Maybe they took something with them or left some excess baggage behind during this process ?
It's still not late into the build process to start over from scratch again but i'd prefer not to.

I'm using Trend PC Cillin AV/Firewall. It came bundled with my Motherboard so I thought i'd give it a try. I've always used Norton In the past and i have a brand new sealed Norton AV 2004 at my disposal . The PC Cillin seems to be pretty good and just blends into the background, I found that Norton always likes to remind you that its there and was in my face all the time.

I'll give the machine an AV scan and install spybot as it's been recommended by others.

Edited to add:
Hmm... it would appear that if i disable PC Cillin immediately after a re-start then my control panel works. If i leave it running in the background then it doesn't. Obviously the AV software is preventing system changes being made. It might be broken or it might be a feature , i'll live with it for a while and see what i think, it's not as if i'm making changes all the time.

Last edited by KwikPhix; 11th Apr 2004 at 12:04.