PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - It's not what you know....it's who you know....or is it????
Old 10th Apr 2004, 17:17
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think maybe a little clarification is called for. Networking does not just mean sidling up to those in high places within an airline, or even just befriending them because you think they may get you a job. It's much more than that.

Networking is trying to be in and around the industry you want to break into. If you find your next door neighbour is DFO for a major carrier then great, but senior pilot managers are not the only good network contacts. It's about ALL the contacts that you make from day one. This includes other Wannabes whom you meet along the way. One of you is going to get the first break and get the first job. That person is now a useful contact (as well as hopefully being a mate by now) who can pass extremely valuable information to you about the selection process he/ she took and what's going on recruitment wise in his/ her airline (perhaps not as accurately as the HR Director, but you get my drift?)

Wannabes have helped other Wannabes get their first break so it amazes me that some never keep in touch with other pilots that they meet during training (obviously having assessed their character). I am still in touch with a 'circle' of pilots whom I trained with; all of whom now work for airlines, you never know, even when you're in, when they might come in handy! I have found them a useful source of info and have managed to return the favour by even getting a mate onto a shortlist of one for an air taxi job!

A large number of individuals have worked for airlines in other capacities, just to try to get a foot in the door and have been successful. Some may well be shallow, but perhaps some are just extremely determined and have impressed certain individuals who have the power to hire and fire pilots. They have in effect positioned themselves to be offered an opportunity to go for pilot selection with said airline and perhaps even been placed on the 'special' pile of CVs. They have positioned themselves through networking.

Networking alone is not enough(generally speaking), as has already been pointed out. You still have to be capable of jumping through the hoops when the opportunity arises, but look at the benefit of the networking that the half a dozen Thomas Cook Ops guys did earlier this year..........

I feel that in this tough market networking has become even more important. With a few notable exceptions the vast majority of Wannabes that I know who have secured employment have networked in some way to help make it happen.

As a breed we pilots tend to be fairly reserved (unless we're in a bar with the cabin crew!) and very judgemental. Networking like a saleman is not something that on the whole, the majority of us find the easiest of things to do. As has been pointed out already though, no-one else is going to do your selling for you and aviation is certainly not a charity, so the sooner you can convince yourself of the benefits of a bit of 'self-sales' the better..........

Best of luck to you all.

PP